Friday, February 21, 2014

Impossible Provision

At the University of Minnesota, the common recruiting slogan of being a person rather than a number does not apply. We memorized our student identification number right away, and we wrote that on more forms than we ever wrote our names. It’s a huge school. And, relative to the number of students, not a lot of money is given away for scholastic purposes.

So when I discerned that God was leading me to the U of M rather than some of the other journalism schools that were courting me, I was not expecting a lot of financial offers. I received a small journalism scholarship from the U, along with some other scholarships through community-based competitions. My dad offered to cover my books each quarter (for which I was very grateful), but that was the only financial help I was getting from relatives.

My overall financial plan at that point in life consisted of working hard, trying to spend little, giving the first fruits to God (see Proverbs 3:9-10), and trusting that it would all work out.

Naturally, I took out some loans. I thought that was inevitable.

So when Tom Yeakley encouraged me to develop an Impossible List (see http://thebookoflifeblog.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-impossible-list.html) at the end of my sophomore year of college, it was a no-brainer to add “not going into further debt” to my list of things to pray for. I began both praying and believing.

Shortly before I left to serve at summer camp that spring, I had to check boxes for what financial aid I would accept for the following year. In faith, I checked the lines for the grants and one small loan, but I didn’t accept the loan that normally helped me pay my way. And it wasn’t because I thought my summer ministry salary would take care of things.

However, almost immediately, I started to see God supply. I received a fellowship I had never even heard of (and keep in mind that the U of M was not a place where finding financial assistance was necessarily easy). I received a larger journalism scholarship. My mom sent a check of “extra” funds she managed to scrape together.

I was amazed as I watched God do what I had previously deemed impossible.

The following summer I served at the same camp again and experienced one of my most unique examples of God’s provision. One day I was somewhere on the grounds when I was paged to take a phone call. It was rare for me to get a phone call at camp, so I was a little unsure what to expect when I picked up the phone in the office.

“Hello, this is Stephanie,” I said with more confidence than I felt.

“Hello, this is Dr. So-and-So from the University of Minnesota,” a man stated from the other end.

We dispensed a few pleasantries before he launched into the reason for his call.

“We’re wondering if you would apply for the (name withheld) Fellowship this year,” he said.

I was stunned. Remember: I’m a number, or so I feel. There are over 40,000 undergraduates at my college. Lots of people want this money. And he somehow tracked me down at a Bible camp in Michigan to offer me a financial gift.

“I didn’t apply for that because I no longer qualify,” I explained. “I dropped classical Greek, so that means I’m now going for a religious studies minor, rather than continuing with my double-major.”

“I realize that,” he said, “but we’d still like to give you this fellowship.”

“Even though I don’t qualify?” I clarified.

“Even though you technically don’t qualify,” he affirmed.

(Eighteen years later, I’m still a bit stunned.)

“I am truly honored,” I replied, “but I don’t feel I can accept it in good conscience. I’m sure someone else will really benefit from it.”

And he disappointedly ended the phone call.

Did I just turn down money from the U of M, I wondered as I headed back outside. It felt like one example of many that verified God as Provider.

Aaron and I married a month later, and I was set to graduate that December. One night in our apartment Aaron and I discussed our financial plan for upcoming months.

(Marrying this man gave me a much better understanding of budgets and financial planning than to simply work hard and spend little. Aaron is very gifted with money management.)

“Well, you could finish school in December,” he said.  “Or you could take classes during the spring so we can pay off your early student loans.”

“Please explain that to me,” I requested.

“You had those early loans from your first two years of school,” he explained. “Now you’re bringing in enough grants, fellowships and scholarships that we would actually be able to use those to pay off your early loans if you take classes in the spring.”

So I took classes like Contemporary Israeli Literature and the History of Minority in Media—things that interested me, but which hadn’t previously fit into my overall educational plan—and paid off my loans.

This girl who was heading into college with a paltry checking account and little promise of financial assistance got out of college debt-free!

Nothing is impossible with God.



I received a call from this University of Minnesota building 
that showed how easy it is for God to provide for His children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment